My Activation

Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hearing Tests Again....

Here we go again.

I can't enjoy having my new cochlear implant for three months before my left ear has started loosing it's hearing! I cannot explain why it is happening but when I went for my test last week, the audiologist informed me that I had lost about 15 decibels in the high frequency range of pitch. Basically what that means, is that on my left ear I'm loosing the ability to hear sounds in the areas of things like woman's voices and certain songs. That sort of thing. The decibel rating was already lower than it should have been, now it is very low.

In all honesty, I knew it was going to happen. I've been told since kindergarten that my hearing wasn't going to stay stable, due to the type of hearing loss I have. I'm not all too torn up about it but I'm anxious that a cochlear implant my become a real reality for me on that left ear.

I'm kind of stuck in between a rock and a hard place right now, I really love my new cochlear implant on my right ear, but to think long term about implanting my left ear would require a lot of adjusting, obviously if that is what is suggested, that is what will happen. It is the adjusting that will be hard.

My left ear has been to what other people could understand to be as their dominate hand. It would be like me telling you tomorrow, "Okay, your hand works right now, but more than likely, your hand will be getting pretty bad within the next year. We have a sort of a solution but it would require us to cut your hand off and we put a new one on, your new hand will suck at first. But with a lot of therapy you will be back up to speed. But it will never be quiet the same."

I've never been somebody to sit and wallow in my own situation, and that isn't going to happen now. It's just something I'm going to have to deal with in the upcoming months.

My already implanted ear is going really well, I just got a new mapping (new programming) and it caused me to think that my girlfriend had a lisp the sensitivity was so strong. I hadn't ever really heard the "s" come from her so that was pretty awesome. It obviously wasn't a lisp, but hearing those sounds for the first time was a little bit surprising. I never knew I would still be discovering such basic sounds 3 months in!

I always try to learn from a situation, or something that happens. The thing that I learned from losing my hearing so quickly in my left ear is that life never goes as planned. Just as I didn't have planned for my left ear to get quieter, there are other things in life that will not go as I had planned in the future. I just try to adapt to changes quickly and do what I can with the situation I have. I know that God will take care of me in what I decide to do and that everything is going to work itself out with the recent
loss in hearing.

I'm on the first page now, out of over 500 videos!
My Cochlear Implant Activation


Have a good week guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment