My Activation

Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

It's Been Awhile

Hello to all, I hope that this blog finds you doing well. Personally, I've been doing pretty good. I've been very busy due to the fact that I am experiencing the end of the school year push, and it is hitting me hard.

Since most people now know, I'm going to make it known to everybody on here. I've made my mind up for sure. I've since decided to remove myself from the School of Drama's technical theatre program. I will now be perusing a degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders beginning in the fall. I will be doing that to become an audiologist. Interestingly enough, many people do not know what this is; lucky for you, I do and I'm willing to tell you!

An audiologist is somebody that runs tests on people that believe they have a hearing loss, or balance disorder. After the tests are run, if the person has a hearing loss of some sort, the audiologist fits the person with the right things to ensure that the patient will be successful throughout life with the equipment. The audiologist can fit the person with hearing aids, a cochlear implant, an fm system, a bone conductor system, or a combination of the above.

My personal goal is to become a pediatric audiologist. I want to diagnose hearing losses in children so that I can help the children early on in life to get them started on the road to success, just like it was done for me. I believe I would have the upper hand in assisting parents make the correct decision about how to approach the situation, considering I have been through every stage of the hearing loss spectrum. I believe that I could relate to the patients as well, believing that I would be able to help and understand in ways that the average audiologist cannot do.

Surprisingly, I have experienced setbacks with this goal. Many people have questioned me as to whether or not I will be able to be successful in completing my goal to become an audiologist. Some thing it is a poor choice for me to choose to move to this field. They are wrong. I believe that this career is definitely for me. I'm not going to sit here and define every reason for why it is the right reason. But I'll tell you why it isn't the wrong decision:

I will be a hell of an audiologist.

Many people like setting little markers for me in saying how much responsibility I can have, or to what capacity I can do something. That is ignorant. They will find out one day, not far from now, that I was able to complete my goal very successfully.

I am looking forward to the days when I can help people with the same circumstances that I've been through.

My cochlear implant has been nothing but good news, I'm still to this day recognizing new sounds around me, but the difference is that I'm starting to recognize the sounds as opposed to always wondering what it was.

Every morning I start my day silent, and until I put my cochlear implant and hearing aid on, I'm completely deaf, but when they turn on I am reminded of the array of new sounds waiting for me to hear and learn what they are, it's pretty exciting stuff!


My Cochlear Implant Activation, Check it Out!

2 comments:

  1. Little man, I cannot think of someone in this world who would be a better audiologist than you. I am very proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome Connor, I'm proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete