My Activation

Pages

Sunday, December 11, 2011

My Last Deaf Birthday

It's crazy how much life can change in the period of a year. I have recently resolved to believing that although my life may be one way this year, it probably won't be this way next year.

So much has changed since last year. As I look back, today is the day before my birthday. I remember this being a really important day for me last year. Last year I was going to get my cochlear implant 8 days after my birthday. You can look back on the blogs and read, I was nervous as heck. I distinctly remember feeling uneasy about my decision to get the implant and thinking that that my 19th birthday was going to be my last birthday where I was going to "hear normally". That was a really big bite for me to swallow.

I look back on it now and laugh, but back then that was a serious thought. I was really nervous. Getting a cochlear implant was really difficult for me. It's hard for somebody to completely change everything they've known for 19 years with the flip of a switch not knowing what the outcome is going to be. Not only did the cochlear implant change the way I was supposed to hear, but it was also cosmetically different. I really had a difficult time accepting the fact that I was "deaf enough" for a cochlear implant. It was hard because once you get one, there is no going back. There were a million thoughts going through my head thinking it was the wrong decision to make.

A year later, I'm glad I made that decision. Nothing in life worth having is easy. You have to take a little risk to get the big reward, and that applies to everywhere in life. I've had nothing but huge success with the cochlear implant. Sure, I've been chastised for being so vocal about my successes and people aren't happy that I encourage others to get one, but I'm happy and I want others to be happy as well!

I look back on how I had been living my life for the past 19 years and that was freaking HARD. I was angry, I was depressed, I was frustrated. I don't know how I did it. The cochlear implant really is a benefit for the right people.

Am I going to rush into another one? Nope. What I have right now is working, why fix what isn't broken?

I always live by the motto (I probably made it up myself): "Make somebodies life better today." That's what I try to do with the blog, the video, and the teaching people about cochlear implants. I've always tried to be a good role model for those around me. Sure life wasn't always the easiest on me, but I don't take it out on others. I do everything I can do make other people's lives better.

Have a good week guys!

Connor

No comments:

Post a Comment