My Activation

Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Summer School's Done!

....Well almost, and I've gotta admit, that math class was embarrassingly hard. I'll be glad when I'm back in Norman with my friends and not having to worry about logarithms in math and serving tables at On the Border.

This summer really went by fast, and by fast, I mean it seems like I was just moving into my dorm last year. And it seriously was an entire year ago. It's amazing how fast it went by. I'm thinking about how much I've changed in a year as well, it's astonishing how much somebody can change in just a short time.

I've changed in so many ways. A year ago, I had never heard many of the sounds I come across on a daily basis now. Just experiencing that gift of sound for the six months I've had it has completely changed my outlook in life for the better. Honestly, I believe it has made me a happier and less stressed out person. Before college, I had never really grown up, which isn't abnormal. I mean you really can grow up being 45 minutes away from home.

I feel like I've also learned a lot more about people and how many different kinds of them there are in the world. I've started to pay attention to other people in my life other than myself, and it's made me a happier person. I've learned that you should never change yourself for anybody, which is something that I may have learned a little late. I remember in middle school, I would go to classes and just not wear my hearing aids for fear that people would judge me. The funny thing is, now I'm the one in college and most of the people that judged me in my younger years haven't seen the inside of a university. I've learned to stop caring what other people think, which is a very late, but a hard lesson to learn. But honestly, it can be extremely hard to learn that lesson as a kid when you feel like you are the only one going through what you are going through.

I know that lesson doesn't just apply to deaf people too.


Sometimes, people can be cruel, but I honestly feel that everybody in this world has the capacity to be a good person. I hate how people blame their actions on their upbringing. It floors me, I'm the product of three divorces and I am deaf, I mention those because being products of divorces increases the risk of being a criminal when the child grows up (I don't know how they find that because it seems like everybody is the product of divorce anymore), and being deaf increases the risk of depression and other mental disorders. I've never let the negatives in my life replace the positives. I honestly believe in the good in other people, even if I have good reason to not do so. I'll let you consider that a good or bad quality. I hope that by reading this blog, people are learning more about people that are deaf and I hope that somehow you are able to relate some of my posts to events in your life.

Have a good day!

Connor

1 comment:

  1. Hey Conner....I live in Norman, Okla. also....have we met? My name is Michael Smith....Im Hard of Hearing guy. I am seriously think abt get cochlear implant and I happen to run across ur activation vid on the net and saw that you were from Norman, Okla. Wld like to meet up and talk abt ur experience with cochlear implant surgery and that kinda stuff if thats okay. Did you see Dr. Baker from the Hough Institute? I saw Dr. Baker before and Dr Wolfe from Hearts for Hearing. BTW if you want contact me u can txt me at 405-609-9010. God bless!

    ReplyDelete